July 01st, 2018
Let's chat about getting comfy at home, creating spaces you can escape to, in and around your house! A huge component of my self-care strategy is, being in comfortable, stress-free spaces that inspire and relax me.
I started intentionally creating clean, comfortable spaces that brought me joy in my early twenties as a coping tactic to manage chronic stress and depression. I fell in love, and I was good at it. It worked, and I never stopped!
Any healthy activity that supports your well being is worth exploring!
Do you feel stressed when you get home because your home is a mess, and all you can think about is not having the energy to clean up?
Maybe, you would like a spot to escape and relax, but you don't want to leave your home.
Do you feel frustrated with feeling stuck in spaces that don't inspire you?
As an introvert, alone time is cherished, and I love spending time in spaces, I feel comfortable and calm. As a mom, wife, and coach after caring for everyone, I need that escape time, and I don't like the feeling of urgently needing a vacation or retreat to achieve this.
While life gets busy, and you can lose track of your home, your home should be a place of peace, but that requires some attention to create or maintain an emotionally nurturing environment. If you have disorder, chaos, and decor dislikes all around you, then it won't be an attractive or comfy spot to hang out!!
Once a month I walk through my entire house and yard with one purpose in mind. To check "Am I happy, comfortable and enjoying each space? “
Each time I do this I make small changes and additions to make it even more pleasing to me. I have created multiple nooks inside my home and around my yard that I use to support my self-care goal.
Create a spot for thinking, clearing your head, writing, relaxing, family time, quiet time...whatever your relaxation or creative needs are.
When I'm choosing my special spots I pay attention to simple things such as:
1. Location. How busy is the space? I never enjoy spending quiet or relaxing time in a high traffic area.
Location is a key component when i'm designing special spaces.
If it's an indoor space I factor in access and proximity to windows or doors to ensure I can benefit from fresh air, natural light, and enjoy the beauty of nature even though I'm indoors. I strategically place plants and yard ornaments so i can see them through windows and when my doors are open.
For outdoor spaces I try to create comfy spots that are in shaded areas, surrounded with colorful leaves and brightly colored flowers. I do have multiple seating areas but I ensure I always have one that gives me some measure of privacy.
2. Scents. I love spaces infused with my favorite scents, it’s absolutely stimulating to me. My mood and creativity is highly affected by scents. So I guess it wont come as a surprise when I say, I'm a huge lover of scented candles, wax warmers, diffusers, anything that infuses the air with a pleasant scent. My favorites are vanilla, cherry cinnamon, frankincense and lavender. I have scents going all day and night! LOL
3. Color. I’m a colorful Caribbean woman! Color is every where, I love bright colors. I'm not muted where color is concerned at all! I use colors that make me feel happy and alive but I suggest you use colors that stimulate you.
4. Fabric Textures. I enjoy soft fun textures. I spend lots of time in my special nooks so i use fabrics that are cool, soft , indoor/ outdoor appropriate and durable.
5. Yard Ornaments and furniture. Im very girly and I enjoy small yard ornaments ( birds, frogs, characters etc) around to add a little character and fun to the spaces. I prefer using wood yard furniture but I do have a variety of Wood, Granite, Glass, Plastic and Cast iron pieces located at special locations around the yard. It really depends on your lifestyle, personal preference and budget.
6. Soothing Sound. As a music lover, music is a staple! As a nature lover the sound of the birds is quite enjoyable as well as running water very peaceful and healing. I have small fountains and bluetooth speakers in my spaces.
Create boundaries so others respect your spaces and the purpose.
Now once my family understood what each space signified, most times while I'm there, I go undisturbed.
I travel often and while I stay at lovely hotels my home is where I want to unwind, relax and quiet the chaos of life!
Creating multiple spaces I love allows for me to do this. Keeps me calm, relaxed and productive!
My monthly home decor checks allow me the opportunity to re-assess spaces so I can decide how I'd want to upgrade or finetune the look and feel that's suitable to my personality or need.
So, are you ready to make your house an enticing place you always want to come to?
This doesn't happen by accident, it has to be deliberately planned. It doesn't have to be expensive, and it doesn't have to be hard work.
1. I search through Pinterest for designs and decor pieces I like, to help me create a vision board.
2. I visit plant shops to see what seasonal plants or flowers they have that I would want to use. I choose plants that are easy to maintain with stimulating colors and pleasing scents. I love fun, pretty plant pots that add character to the decor and feel I desire.
3. I visit home and garden shops to window shop for yard furniture and ornaments.
4. Once my research is completed, the planning begins! I decide which area I am going to design, what elements I want to incorporate in the space, why I'm creating it and what I desire from being in that space.
5. I revisit monthly to assess how I feel about the space, and I decide if I need to add or take away from my special spot!
I look forward to hearing about your creative nook and how you feel after its done!
Leave me a comment, and you can also leave your tips for creating unique spaces in your home that you love.
Design a lifestyle that brings you joy!
Click here to grab your copy of my Lifestyle Journal & Bring the focus back
to the key player in your life; You!
7/2/2018 07:08:31 pm
I absolutely loved this post. As a new wife and homeowner I get excited with creating spaces at home that represents and excites both my husband and I. Since however, he's happiest when I'm happy I get to play with looks that I love. (he likes them too... And steals some of my spots for himself) so I just get to create again. Before, I thought that having multiple beautiful spaces at home required tons of $$ but like you mentioned if its done systematically it does not hurt the pockets and we get to have wonderful nooks that enhances moods and relaxes us right at home.
7/13/2018 01:03:58 pm
As always reading this alone relaxes me so grateful to have motivated me . I to enjoy spending time home but sometimes it gets overwelming with my daily responsilbities so much is requried of me. I started a couple of months ago with my kitchen garden it brought a sence of peace to actually see its produce so I guess each portion of my home i can start .I normally find my quite moments in the night but i think i need to adjust my me time also during the day I thank you as always for sharing your wisdom in shaping us to be best for ourselves
7/13/2018 11:17:58 am
Shell wow!!! Exactly what your say ,I have those ideas and unable to put it into effect. This have truly motivated me....
7/13/2018 12:02:21 pm
I love with my parents. I need my own home. There is no way I can feel comfortable until I can turn my own key. Believing God for that. But I love your beautiful ideas thank you
7/13/2018 12:42:56 pm
Really love the post shell this is somthing i fully endorse and as you said it does not have to be costly some times it could be as simple as a rearrangment of the furniture you already have add a little plant and pictures as i get older i see the need for this more and more mental health is so important
7/13/2018 04:04:47 pm
Need much much help In the house keeping, I try really hard but usually get frustrated over and over. My space is all and shared with four other persons and everyone is not always on the same page.
7/13/2018 04:31:01 pm
I really enjoyed reading this. Though I don't have my own home yet I'm always looking for ways to make my current space as beautiful and as comfortable as possible. Thank you for these really good tips.
7/14/2018 04:54:55 am
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Though my indoor space is shared I've already found outdoor spots that I can beautify and use to escape and relax. As a working wife and student things do become chaotic and a calming spot is always welcomed. Thank you for this informative and inspiring blog.
7/15/2018 02:45:31 am
This was great and practical. Thank you shelly. I will be following
7/15/2018 07:17:33 am
Thanks Shelly I really enjoyed reading this actually I think it's awesome and four words came to my head (come to my home 🤣) lol but seriously I will be grabbing from these tips and creating my breathing space am excited thanks for sharing 🤗🤗
7/16/2018 11:25:09 am
I always believe your home should be your sanctuary. And believe me, this post is just what I needed to read right now.
1/13/2020 05:10:53 am
I am a firm believer that the things you need come when you need it the most. I have been struggling with this for quite sometime, and after reading your blog, I feel so much better that it is not be alone and it's not in my head. Thank you for sharing this, I actually feel like I can do this on my own now, I just need to figure out what I truly like and bring that into my spaces at home. (I never really sat and thought about what I would like to see in my home spaces) Thank you Shelly! This was awesome for me.
Leave a Reply.