Let's chat about getting comfy at home, creating spaces you can escape to, in and around your house! A huge component of my self-care strategy is, being in comfortable, stress-free spaces that inspire and relax me.
I started intentionally creating clean, comfortable spaces that brought me joy in my early twenties as a coping tactic to manage chronic stress and depression. I fell in love, and I was good at it. It worked, and I never stopped!
Any healthy activity that supports your well being is worth exploring!
Do you feel stressed when you get home because your home is a mess, and all you can think about is not having the energy to clean up?
Maybe, you would like a spot to escape and relax, but you don't want to leave your home.
Do you feel frustrated with feeling stuck in spaces that don't inspire you?
As an introvert, alone time is cherished, and I love spending time in spaces, I feel comfortable and calm. As a mom, wife, and coach after caring for everyone, I need that escape time, and I don't like the feeling of urgently needing a vacation or retreat to achieve this.
While life gets busy, and you can lose track of your home, your home should be a place of peace, but that requires some attention to create or maintain an emotionally nurturing environment. If you have disorder, chaos, and decor dislikes all around you, then it won't be an attractive or comfy spot to hang out!!
Once a month I walk through my entire house and yard with one purpose in mind. To check "Am I happy, comfortable and enjoying each space? “
Each time I do this I make small changes and additions to make it even more pleasing to me. I have created multiple nooks inside my home and around my yard that I use to support my self-care goal.
Create a spot for thinking, clearing your head, writing, relaxing, family time, quiet time...whatever your relaxation or creative needs are.
When I'm choosing my special spots I pay attention to simple things such as:
1. Location. How busy is the space? I never enjoy spending quiet or relaxing time in a high traffic area.
Location is a key component when i'm designing special spaces.
If it's an indoor space I factor in access and proximity to windows or doors to ensure I can benefit from fresh air, natural light, and enjoy the beauty of nature even though I'm indoors. I strategically place plants and yard ornaments so i can see them through windows and when my doors are open.
For outdoor spaces I try to create comfy spots that are in shaded areas, surrounded with colorful leaves and brightly colored flowers. I do have multiple seating areas but I ensure I always have one that gives me some measure of privacy.
2. Scents. I love spaces infused with my favorite scents, it’s absolutely stimulating to me. My mood and creativity is highly affected by scents. So I guess it wont come as a surprise when I say, I'm a huge lover of scented candles, wax warmers, diffusers, anything that infuses the air with a pleasant scent. My favorites are vanilla, cherry cinnamon, frankincense and lavender. I have scents going all day and night! LOL
3. Color. I’m a colorful Caribbean woman! Color is every where, I love bright colors. I'm not muted where color is concerned at all! I use colors that make me feel happy and alive but I suggest you use colors that stimulate you.
4. Fabric Textures. I enjoy soft fun textures. I spend lots of time in my special nooks so i use fabrics that are cool, soft , indoor/ outdoor appropriate and durable.
5. Yard Ornaments and furniture. Im very girly and I enjoy small yard ornaments ( birds, frogs, characters etc) around to add a little character and fun to the spaces. I prefer using wood yard furniture but I do have a variety of Wood, Granite, Glass, Plastic and Cast iron pieces located at special locations around the yard. It really depends on your lifestyle, personal preference and budget.
6. Soothing Sound. As a music lover, music is a staple! As a nature lover the sound of the birds is quite enjoyable as well as running water very peaceful and healing. I have small fountains and bluetooth speakers in my spaces.
Create boundaries so others respect your spaces and the purpose.
Now once my family understood what each space signified, most times while I'm there, I go undisturbed.
I travel often and while I stay at lovely hotels my home is where I want to unwind, relax and quiet the chaos of life!
Creating multiple spaces I love allows for me to do this. Keeps me calm, relaxed and productive!
My monthly home decor checks allow me the opportunity to re-assess spaces so I can decide how I'd want to upgrade or finetune the look and feel that's suitable to my personality or need.
So, are you ready to make your house an enticing place you always want to come to?
This doesn't happen by accident, it has to be deliberately planned. It doesn't have to be expensive, and it doesn't have to be hard work.
1. I search through Pinterest for designs and decor pieces I like, to help me create a vision board.
2. I visit plant shops to see what seasonal plants or flowers they have that I would want to use. I choose plants that are easy to maintain with stimulating colors and pleasing scents. I love fun, pretty plant pots that add character to the decor and feel I desire.
3. I visit home and garden shops to window shop for yard furniture and ornaments.
4. Once my research is completed, the planning begins! I decide which area I am going to design, what elements I want to incorporate in the space, why I'm creating it and what I desire from being in that space.
5. I revisit monthly to assess how I feel about the space, and I decide if I need to add or take away from my special spot!
I look forward to hearing about your creative nook and how you feel after its done!
Leave me a comment, and you can also leave your tips for creating unique spaces in your home that you love.
Design a lifestyle that brings you joy!
Click here to grab your copy of my Lifestyle Journal & Bring the focus back
to the key player in your life; You!